Friday, February 8, 2008

I am always trying to help the Micro/HBB operator. I constantly think about what do they need; what do I know that I can share; how can I match individual businesses so that they can grow together; how can I utilise my marketing skills to help them find a cost effective way to promote and market their business; it goes on and on.......it is nearly an obsession with me.

But what I cannot understand is why more of these business opeartors do not try to help each other.....I don't believe it is due to selfishness - though I do know some who are so 'precious' that they will not divulage anything to anyone...they will be the losers.

So why don't we make an effort to support each other more by proactively sharing our knowledge? The worst that can happen is that you don't know just who may have benefitted - but it could be quite exciting to discover that you have turned someone's business around - that you have made a difference....and, of course, you become an expert and a leader. Now that is not such a bad thing is it?

Business operators try to plan how to spend money on marketing to get the best results, when all along, the very best marketing tactic of all is to build relationships with others, especially when you targete specific types of businesses that fit your demographics.

Tell me some stories........

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Barb, I think many small businesses are not sure enough of themselves or their point of difference. This will hold them back from forming strategic alliances or even networking, in a lot of cases. The possibility of being exposed as 'not quite good enough' is a fearful thing.

Thomases said...

Maybe that depends on where you look. And inside the HBB arena there are many, many industries represented. So often the 'help' comes from within the industries themselves but not necessarily on the wider view.

You might want to change your comment moderation setting too Barb - if you'd like people to comment who aren't registered with Blogger.

thecreativecollective said...

Hi there

I stumbled across your site. I would be interested in being featured in a home based business story in a new publication.

I am 31 years old, mother to a 1 year old girl and 4 year old boy. I started up my third business 7 weeks after my second child was born (Jan 2007) and within the first 12 months was named Queensland young Entrepreneur of the Year and was a finalist in numerous other local, regional and national business awards.

My business is home based. See www.thecreativecollective.com.au for more info. I am in the process of launching my fourth business - another online business.